Let me start by saying Yuck… nobody likes losing weight. Yet we hear about it allllll the time. Friends on your Instagram and Facebook probably post pictures of their ocean physique and what an easy commitment it was to get there! Right?
Take it from somebody that has tried it, IT WORKS. I have tried so many different types of diets and programs, and sold products. And I can’t lie, they freaking work. They offer great community support, camaraderie and competition (if you are into that) a group of people with similar goals, and business partners who are ambitious and want you to succeed.
My biggest issue with these products, is they can be wildly expensive… and I know, I’ve sold it, and we all dish out the same slogan “but can you put a price on your health?” And while I agree with the sentiment, I think we can do better.
I understand it’s an industry, and like any industry they want to make money. But I think I can do you one better. If I was gonna make a “diet program” these are the things I would put in it…
1. In the Am a Probiotic Now, I have my favorites. But the most essential thing about finding a probiotic that is best fit for you is finding one that has AT LEAST 1 billion live cultures in it. This is subjective, me personally I don’t feel a difference in my body with anything less than 1 billion. But I am allergic to milk and so I miss out on a lot of products that have natural probiotics. I also look for ones with a shelf stable formula. Because me, I know that if I have to keep it in the fridge I forget to take it. Let’s talk about the benefits, your belly has an ecosystem. Both beneficial and harmful bacteria live in there!! Sometimes due to the high sugar, high protein and low fiber diets we eat our biome can be thrown off balance. By adding probiotics, we are introducing those healthy bacteria can out compete the bad bacteria and make our belly biome a happier place. Let’s also talk about feminine flora. Yes I’m talking about the vagina. There is bacteria in our vaginal canal that keeps yeast are bay!! And there are probiotics that are beneficial to both your feminine flora and your belly!!! I don’t like these as much, they seem to throw off my feminine flora more than help it. This isn’t always the case, I know several women that these help significantly.
2. Fiber This is the perfect pairing for the probiotic supplement. Because the healthy bacteria that live in your gut feed on fiber. The fiber helps keep them healthy. And healthy gut bacteria create a thick layer of mucus in your intestines, sexy I know! But this thick layer of mucus helps control food sensitivities, and helps prevent inflammation. Which let’s face it, if you are really struggling to lose that last 5lbs on your belly? It’s most likely due to inflammation and how your body reacts to certain foods. I’ll talk about food allergies and sensitivity in another post.
3. Water I know you know how important water is. But do you really get enough of it? Push the tips on your fingers into your arm, hold for 3 seconds and release, if your fingerprints are left for 3 seconds or longer you are likely dehydrated. I’m not saying that you are dying. What I am saying is our bodies are 75% water. So if you are taking in enough water your body won’t hold onto water like it’s living through a drought. Most diet plans, if not all, will have you take your weight/2 and that’s how many Oz of water you should be drinking. Normally if I am on a serious goal to get to my bikini size( which I do every year, I should probably not go overboard on Halloween candy-Christmas food, but my family COOKS and it’s sweater season so who really cares?) I will take my weight and drink that many Oz of water. Somewhere between these metrics is probably fine. I weigh around 135(I am short) when I am done hibernating. So that’s right around a gallon a day! If you weigh more than half your weight is probably accurate. This is up to discretion of course. But let me tell you why, when you are dehydrated your body will make you feel hungry, it knows you respond to that feeling. And it can absorb water from your food. A great way to start working water in more is that every time you are craving a “snack” and no I’m not talking about Dave in accounting, when you want a snack slam a glass of water and see if you are still hungry.
4. Herbal Cleanse There are a couple ways to go about this. You can find an herbal cleanse supplement, basically you want to find things that will make you poop. Smooth move tea is even acceptable. Don’t spend a ridiculous amount of money on a “Tea tox” they are a hoax. Anything that promotes good movement, should be taken in the evening. And by morning you should be good to go, if not right before bed.
5. Exercise I know, I know. We all really wish we could drop all the weight with diet alone. And that’s not totally inaccurate. You can drastically
6. The Diet. Ok so the moment you have been waiting for!!! The diet!!! This is the part that really sucks. As someone who knows how real food sensitivities are I think it’s important to take the first 21 days to really reset your system. Normally I would say paleo is the way to go, but I also know that nightshades are a serious source on inflammation. So something more along the lines of an autoimmune paleo diet. The first 21 days are going to be hard. Dropping the foods you use for comfort. And I know I freakin know you can find “compliant” recipes on Pinterest that look and almost taste just like the bad foods you are trying to learn to live without for the next 21 days. This isn’t doing you any favors. Maybe one day a week. But the whole point would be to eliminate foods that might be causing inflammation. Then after 21 days adding in one category at a time and really listening to your body and seeing how it responds. Then conforming to an 80/20 diet. Which means 80% of the time you eat really healthy and 20% can be whatever. Let me give you an example:
If you eat 5 times per day (breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner) 7 days per week, 1 snack per day can be something bad. Or 3 meals in the week. But you can’t go overboard. A piece of pizza, an ice cream cone, a bag of popcorn or you can save up all your cheat meals for a cheat day… I really don’t like cheat days because I feel like people gorge themselves and while it mentally makes you feel better it can seriously hinder your progress. So I wouldn’t suggest that… but again this diet doesn’t exist yet!
*Bonus* Community The final aspect that I think is so important is community. Facebook groups and other forums to help you talk about how you are feeling, how hard the recipes are, sharing new ones.
These are the things that I think would make a successful diet. And methods I have used to lose weight myself. Feel free to message me and talk about it!