This was a random experiment I decided to try because a friend turned me on to applesauce with pork chops? It sounds obscure I know but its actually one of my favorite combinations. I wanted to share this delicious combination with my family, but due to being on stay at home orders I couldn’t exactly run out to purchase applesauce. So i decided to work with what i had. And what i had was cinnamon.
Now under normal circumstances I don’t think I would have attempted this combination. But in my head looking into the spice cabinet I was like “yeah… there is cinnamon in applesauce… why not?” It also helps that I have a family that trusts my culinary skills, so when I said i was going to season our pork chops with cinnamon they were on board to give it a try!! So below you will find my quarantine recipe for delicious pork chops!
Time needed: 45 minutes
30 minutes prep, 15 minutes to cook
You will meed:
- Pork chops(however many you need to feed your family)
- 1tbs oil(whatever you have on hand is fine, just pay attention to the smoking point, butter can be substituted if you don’t have sufficient oil)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon per pork chop
- 1/2 tsp salt per pork chop
- Optional-any other seasoning that you think may compliment(I like bbq seasonings this makes for a sweet/tangy pork chop)
- You want to pull THAWED pork chops out of the fridge about 30 minutes before you plan to cook them, you want them to be at room temperature so that they cook evenly. I like to take this time to season my pork, that way as they come up to temp they are soaking in all those lovely flavors. Mix the salt and cinnamon mixture and make sure the pork is covered, this can be done in a bag to conserve mess or on a plate.
- Use a medium sized skillet bring the oil to medium to medium-high heat, depending on how hot your burners get (if you are using butter let the pan heat and add the butter just before you put in the meat, otherwise you risl burning your butter which is not pleasant). Toss in the pork chops, no more than 3 at a time. On medium to medium-high heat cook each side of the pork chop for 5 minutes, make sure there are NO PINK JUICES coming out of the chops. Try to only flip the chops once, since this will keep it tender and juicy.
- Let the pork rest for 5 minutes after cooking and serve with the rest if your dinner!
this is a super simple way to elevate something boring like a pork chop! Hope you enjoyed!